
Built in 1785.
The Moravians of Old Salem were all equals, but Edward Belo must have seemed considerably more equal than the rest. The Belo House was built in 1849 as a combination mansion and store, with the third floor and portico in the central section along Main Street added in 1859—the third floor housing some of Mr. Belo’s employees. It is now a retirement home managed by the Moravian congregation.
Looking northward toward downtown Winston, where 100 North Main Street (or Wells Fargo Center) is prominent.
The burying-ground for the Moravians of Old Salem, laid out in 1771. All the gravestones are the same size and shape, because all are equal in death.